Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2011

One Week

So I've been in Indonesia for one week, as of yesterday around 1pm Indo time. While many things have been familiar, thanks to student teaching, there has been so many new and different things. The biggest challenges have been thinking long-term, especially when setting up housekeeping and such. Our house is GORGEOUS, and we've had a lot of fun putting it together. Right now, only one bathroom has a water heater, so that's been interesting... I'm alternating between cold showers and mildly heated ones depending on my mood.

Next week I begin setting up my classroom for school. Students and parents will be by next Friday, so things are supposed to be shaping up by then. Yikes!! It's pretty overwhelming, but my principal is awesome and has said that she'll help me if I need it. New teacher orientation ends this week, and all staff orientation begins on Monday. From here on out, it's sink or swim!!

The last really exciting news is that I've learned to drive my motorbike!! I only had one MILD accident (essentially, I fell over and pulled the bike on top of me... I was going MAYBE 5 kph and was having trouble braking). I have a lovely war wound on my elbow and a large bruise on my leg, but I LOVE riding!! It's so amazing! I even took a passenger yesterday- big step!

Thanks so much to all who have prayed... it's the only reason I've still alive and sane!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you.....it's hard to believe you're all grown up, moved to the far reaches of the earth, and are sharing your gifts with new children.....what a blessing you are!
    Love-
    Cynthia Mock
    x0x0

    ReplyDelete
  2. CAITY! i expect pictures of your war wounds, does mom know about that? i also want pictures of your gorgeous house, you need to get on that! i miss you tons, although it is nice to have my own bathroom again. ;)
    i'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caity! I'm so glad everything is going well! And props for your motorbike skills. Too cool! Praying for you--you are going to be a great teacher and do such amazing things! Miss you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All first year teachers feel the way you do, except you are doing it in another country. It all happened at once, the move, getting the house set up and then diving into your job and all the training, rules, paperwork, etc. Now, meet the parents, get some get to know you plans, puzzles, and games situated in your lesson plans and your first week will fly. Have fun! aunt Kelli

    ReplyDelete