Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Permisi Dulu, Pak. Mari!

School is never-ending!! I just finished this week's lesson plans last night, and I'm already thinking about next week's. When I took my kiddos to the library today, I checked out two books for myself. Bahahaha... Oh, boy... I don't know what I was thinking. I have never had less time for reading in my entire life!! Most days, I come home with so little energy that it's all I can do to eat dinner and stay up until 8:00. In the evenings, I'm either writing lesson plans and grading/checking papers, or going to Bible study or some other activity. There are occasional game or movie nights, but even those have become few and far between. During the last movie night (Friday), I fell asleep 30 minutes into the film. Great... I've become my mother!

In spite of it all, I LOVE my job. Somehow, when 7:45am rolls around, I'm actually looking forward to seeing the little buggers. Amazing- and a total God-thing!! Most days, I feel incredibly boring and inept, but hopefully, my second-graders are getting SOMETHING out of my talking at them for 4+ hours.

I also love this country that I'm in. On Saturday, I went into town for a cream bath. Now, I can try to explain what a cream bath is, but it really is something that has to be experienced (hint, hint). I paid the equivalent of roughly $8.50 for an entire head, neck, and upper body massage, along with a hair wash, condition, and blow dry. It's literally a small taste of Heaven. As in God will have cream baths for us after we die. I'm convinced. On Sunday, one of my students celebrated her birthday at the restaurant her family is opening next week. It was essentially a free-for-all food-wise. There were appetizers, main dishes, desserts, and gelato... in unlimited quantities. I attended, and am still having trouble believing it. Thankfully, I have witnesses.

What I've come down to is this- life is a balance. There are definitely negatives to living and teaching in Indonesia. Bugs, heat, language, distance, resources, etc.

And then there are cream baths.

3 comments:

  1. Haha, Caitlyn, you crack me up. I like your list of cons and pro (singular). Crazy girl. :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. i still think a cream bath sounds gross, but that won't stop me from coming to visit you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I should quit teaching and open a cream bath salon somewhere. :) At least in that career I could make adults happy. I'm really bad at that! I am so proud of you, and I know that you can survive...and If you will tell me how, I would love to send you $8.50 so you can have another cream bath later on :)

    ReplyDelete